Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thesis......



DEFENSED!


A very large milestone on my path to the real world has finally passed. This is a day that I have been looking forward to for about three years. As of Friday morning at 11:37 MDT I have successfully defended my Master's Thesis. Needless to say we are both very excited. Unfortunately the fun is not yet allowed to begin. I passed, but I passed with qualifications. What this means is that each member of my committee pointed out a few minor changes that they would like to see in the written presentation, and I have two weeks to make those changes and submit the final final draft for publication.

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. The heavy load that has been on my shoulders has been lifted. I feel as though I can finally enjoy a little bit of relaxation without a lingering feeling of guilt (because I always knew that I should be working on this thesis). After three years, this is a welcome feeling.

After the defense as I was driving to lunch (Laura and I decided to go out to celebrate the occasion) I hooted and hollered louder than I have ever hooted and hollered in my life. Luckily we drove in separate cars, so I was able to do this without embarrassing myself in front of my sweetheart.

This is my committee. The man standing next to me is my adviser, Dr. Hawks, he is the one for whom I have been working, and who talked me into doing my graduate studies at BYU.



10 comments:

Mr. Beatley said...

Congratulations Joseph! What an achievement! I was disappointed we didn't get a chance to connect while you both were in Oregon but hopefully we will all get time to visit together soon. Congratulations again on your accomplishment! - Emily

gw said...

You Rock Bro!! It's a great fealing to be done (or nearly so). I wish I could have been there to hoot and holler with ya ;)

Rachel said...

Congratulations!!! We're so excited for you guys!

Laura said...

Congrats!! That is so great, what an accomplishment!

Amy said...

Congrats! There's no feeling like finishing something big. Get those revisions done quick so you can wash your hands of the whole ordeal.

Greg and Tammy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That has got to be a great feeling!!

Keren said...

I'm a horrible sister. Please still love me.

Keren said...

Also, congratulations.

esther said...

Yay, for you!!! Congratulations.

Rahni said...

Way to go, Joseph (and Laura)! With this weight off your shoulders, just think about how fast you'll run your next marathon! If you're looking for another race, might I suggest the Seattle Rock 'n Roll marathon in June? Hopefully it won't be as wet as St. George. ;o)