Thursday, August 12, 2010

Spots

If Austin was a puppy we might have named him Spots. Joseph decided to call him that anyway for a few days because it was really quite fitting. The day after we got home from Alaska I was changing Austin after his morning feed around 6am. I noticed a few tiny dots on his tummy and one about the size of my pinky fingernail. I showed Joseph and said I was wondering if I should take him to the doctor. Joseph, being the not-quick-to-freak-out parent said to watch it a couple of days first. Well, it seemed to me around 8 that it was getting worse so I decided to start taking pictures. That way I would know if it was actually getting worse or if it was all in my head.
Here's proof that I'm not crazy.

Since I was quite positive it was much worse by 10am (when I took the above picture) I called the doctor to let them know he had a rash and see if they wanted me to come in or just watch it for a while. Of course, they said to just watch it, but come in if he starts running a fever, or has trouble eating or sleeping. He was not exhibiting any of the above symptoms, so I decided to just be vigilant. Well, by around 11 he was looking like this:

So I called the doctor and said it had spread a lot and asked if they still just wanted me to watch it since Austin wasn't showing the other symptoms, but they said since it was spreading so much they wanted me to bring him in.

Our doctor appointment was scheduled for 3pm, but he was already looking
like this around 1pm.


When we got there the doctor took one look at him and said it was a virus. Apparently it's a common summer virus and he see's it a lot every year, but usually in older kids. He said kids don't complain of itching or pain so Austin was probably not uncomfortable from it. Again they just said to watch for fever and eating/sleeping trouble. Since it was a virus there was nothing we could do but let it run its course. Here's the rash Tuesday afternoon, it was starting to get lighter on his tummy, but spreading on his arms & legs.


The doctor told me not to be surprised if it spread over his entire body. Thanks for the warning, Doc. Otherwise this definitely would have freaked me out.
These were taken Wednesday evening.

And finally, this was Thursday. Things started clearing up, he looked much better Friday, but it wasn't totally gone until Saturday.


What a long week. It broke my heart to see him covered in something so crazy. He was a trooper though. He still ate and slept pretty well, his schedule was just a little off. Of course he was still cute even when his whole body was covered in that red rash. I'm glad it's gone though. That's one virus he'll never get again, thank goodness for that. Here's to a stronger immune system! :)

5 comments:

Amy said...

OH it is so hard to see kids sick!! Great documenting skills and I think it's ok to be the freak-out parent because you never know. Gavin just had hand foot mouth disease. It's a virus and they get a fever and then spots. His wasn't very bad so he got over it quick.

Amy said...

Oh, poor baby! I'm glad he's doing better.

Stephanie said...

Poor thing! Sophie got a weird rash on her arm that didn't seem to bother her either. I'm glad he got all better. I just hate things like rashes cause you can't do much...

Rachel said...

:( can't wait to see you soon!

Wood said...

Oh my goodness! I would have freaked out too! I'm happy that you made it through that trial!